Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Obligations

Sometimes I feel as if my life could be boiled down to my obligations - I am obligated to eat, obligated to sleep, obligated to get dressed, obligated to go to work, obligated to do homework, obligated to exercise, obligated to read my Bible, obligated to shower, obligated to put gas in my car, obligated to pay my bills, obligated to live! It is crazy! I don't know what it is that makes me view life this way - some days I see life as an opportunity to serve others and love God....Other days I see it as some really incredibly boring thing that has to be endured for 16 hours until I can go to sleep and escape it once again! That is pathetic! I sound like I am really depressed - I don't feel depressed, I just feel like the reality of the number of minutes I am going to live has walked up and slapped me in the face, and then the reality of how many minutes I will live and do things that I am obligated to do - like, sleep, shower, eat, etc -has walked up to me and rubbed sour cream in my hair! And the reality of how many minutes I will spend doing things that I have to do and not the things that I want to do has come up to me and put peanut butter in my ears! So - I feel as if I am stupid - I have been slapped, sour creamed and peanut buttered - so I am walking around, with these realities seeping into my identity - I truly need to learn to count the days, to learn the importance of a moment! Even moments that I am doing things that are obligations - I mean, didn't Jesus become man, take on the obligations of man, so that I might partake in the Divine nature? I mean, doesn't God want to make me holy - and this does not mean removing my obligations - so how do I become holy in the paying of my bills? Do I have to become like the monks of the eastern church and spend all of my "idle time"- the time where my mind can be free because of the boredom of activities in this life - and spend that time praying "Lord Jesus, Savior of the world, have mercy on me a sinner!" and say this over and over and over - trying to remind myself, that the sour cream in my hair and the slaps on my face are all for the glory of God! That every minute we have, every breath we breathe - even in the most boring and mundane and obligated times of our lives - are to bring glory to God! I so want that to be true in my life! But how do I make it happen! How do I rejoice in the obligations and see them as much a part of my life as the exciting times? HOW????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home