Monday, October 31, 2005

Freedom or rebellion?

This week has been an eye-opener for me and my views on freedom. I believe whole heartedly that J has freed me from the law and that all things are now lawful, but not all things are profitable. I also believe that there is no condemnation for those who are J - and that He has freed me - really freed me - and that there is no need to be subject to the yoke of slavery again!
But having said all of that - how do I know that what I do is an act of freedom and not an act of rebellion? We all know that rebellion is wrong - that it is a declaration of my independence and in that way I am declaring that I am like God (this is why Samuel likens the sin of rebellion to the sin of witchcraft) - so how do I live in freedom and not rebel?

Let's take a specific issue - sheesha! Everyone who knows me well knows that I love to smoke sheesha. It is something that I believe whole heartedly that I am free to do - no one seems to have a problem with it except believers who are trying to maintain some sense of "better than you" in their spirituality. So, I am free to do this - but how do I know that I am not doing this to rebel against those people who think it is wrong? And how far do I have to go to prevent this from being the case? I mean, to ensure that I am not rebelling, do I have to not do any questionable activities? That seems to not be freedom at all, rather it is walking in other people's ideas of obedience! Or do I just live in my freedom with no worries about others - that doesn't seem to be Christian either!
I don't want to be rebellious - I think that something we as Christians get to do - that no other religion gets to do - is to willingly submit to our authority. It is distinctively Christian because all other religions either seek to have no authority or they force others into subjection to God or others - but as Christians, we believe I am free in Christ - and I can choose to submit or I can not - so my submission is an act of my will - not an act of subjection! So, how do I submit to the freedom I have been given, and yet not be put into slavery by other's wishes or desires?
I don't know - it is something I am thinking about and trying to discern - but I want to walk with Jesus and I don't want to be known by my rebellious behavior - and it seems lately that the way people know me is by my deviant behavior - I am glad that I am known as one who gives grace and does not condemn - but I hate the idea of being known as a rebellious person! I don't think that is godly at all! I want to be known by the fruit of the Spirit - and one of those is self control - so how does my rebellious activity relate to that?- it doesn't!!!
Is there any way I can do these things (outside of doing them in a closet in my house with no one else ever finding out) ? I mean - is it possible to live in freedom and not rebel?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, um, lots of blogging.
I think Paul gives us a few clues about whether or not we are using our freedom properly. They're usually delineated by statements such as "Everything is permissible for me..." Here's what comes to mind off my head's top:

1. but not everything is beneficial. Don't do things that don't benefit you and/or others.
2. I will not be mastered by anything. If it's something that causes you to lose your self-control, whatever that may be, it's good not to do it.
3. I will not cause my brother to stumble (here I'm infering more than quoting). So, don't offend the conscious of others, and don't lead them into what they believe to be sin. (then I fell asleep at my computer - cue next day - I have to go do productive things).

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home