Friday, November 04, 2005

Fasting

I hate fasting - I mean it! I hate it! I hate it for a few reasons - One-I feel pathetic that I am mortal and have to have food to live - I mean, come on! It makes me feel really silly that I can't go 24 hours without food - I mean, I can.....But it seems to rule my day - all I can think of is my silly stomach! I feel it grumble all day - yelling to me that I need something to eat! I hate needing things - it is not something I do well- I act as if I am above everyone and everything and can provide for myself by myself- but I can't and fasting reminds me of this. The second reason I hate fasting is that it is hard. I have lived in a culture that has valued instant gratification and serving myself all my life - it is completely foreign to remove something from my life just because - Did I say that I hate fasting? - but you know, I just really needed to remind myself that I need Jesus to come back. So I fast - I try to do this every week now - it has become a part of my spirituality - I have realized each week as I take Friday to mourn Christ's death and to remind myself of the meta-narrative of His incarnation, death, resurrection, ascension and impending return that I realize how much I really need Him. I have realized today that I am mortal and that I do need to be transformed into His likeness at His return. I have also realized that I need to place myself in positions where I have to think of something bigger than myself and my own needs. And fasting does this - I have to think of a greater good, not just what I want right now! It has also reminded me that I need people - I need them to speak truth in my life, to provide community for transformation and to make me love Jesus more! So for that I am grateful for those who have gone before me and have handed down this tradition of fasting.
So, maybe I don't hate fasting - after all, I learn so much from doing it every week - No - check that -I still hate it :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How can the guests fast when the bridegroom is with them? But the time is coming when He will be taken away; then they will fast." Just a couple weeks ago, it donned on me that Christians should be fasting for the Lord's return. Good to see I'm not the only one to understand that this way.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home