Thursday, January 12, 2006

Holistic life

I have realized this week that we as modern people so compartmentalize our lives, and thus we compartmentalize God. We say that God can't be put in a box, but if He can't fit in our compartment of "safe" or "logical" or "understandable" we bend and shave and twist Him until He does. This tendency bleeds over to our "normal" lives as well - we twist, bend and force God into parts of our lives, and act as if the rest of our lives are beyond Him. I have realized this as I have taken a deeper look at the OT this week. The saints of the OT don't see God at work only in the temple, they see Him as a part of their daily lives. They eat in such a way to acknowledge that they worship YHWH, they dress in certain ways to acknowledge that they worship YHWH, they take care of the poor, they take care of each other, they engage in war and in peace - all in ways that acknowledge YHWH as the central figure of their lives. Nothing is out of reach of YHWH! He is the central and controlling figure in all of their life - He controls the weather, the nations, all of creation, the progress of evil - everything!
But, for some reason in my western brain, I forget this - I act as if my life is separate - and that I can shove God into some corner of it and engage Him when I want. I act as if I have tamed Him, as if this is my show and when I want I can go get God for His amazing act! WHAT A JOKE! I so want to live a holistic life, where God is the center and focus of all of my actions - where my self-absorbedness is no where to be found - oh Jesus! Come back soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home