Sunday, April 17, 2005

My weekend

Well this weekend I had the opportunity to hang out with a friend and her new baby in Dubai - her husband was going to Qatar for an interview with a university and was flying back the next day, we decided to stay in Dubai to avoid the 1 1/2 hour trip back home and then the return trip the next day! so....we spent the night in a hotel and then hung out in Dubai. It was my first time in a long time since I spent any extended time around a small baby and boy did I realize how selfish I was! I was amazed at how often we do things for ourselves until I had a small baby who is completely self absorbed and will not be ignored! I mean, we had to think about him all the time - when to change him, when to feed him, what Amy could eat, how much sleep we would get - when we would sleep and when we wouldn't! - where we would sit in restaurants, movies, etc. When we would leave the house -how much we would take with us in the mall! I mean, for a no purse, shove the wallet in your back-pocket kind of girl - a stroller, baby bag, bottles, purse, and car seat made for a HUGE change! I realized that I was so much more selfish than I thought! I mean, I realized that as easy going as I am, I like it when I get to be easy going - not planned, or even well thought out - just go with the flow! But, cute little Isaiah, was only worried about himself and I had to think about him because he couldn't think about himself! It was a major change! I never realized how incredibly self centered and me focused I was until everything in my life was turned upside down and I had a totally dependent baby and a recovering from surgery mother ( a C-section just three weeks ago!) in my care - and then I lived my weekend at their disposal! Now, don't get me wrong - I had a blast! I got to spend the whole weekend in short sleeve shirts and little to no gawking - and I got to shop at Safest way and get Quaker oat squares and cinnamon life - but I also got to go shopping and get a Pat green Cd - and we had great conversations over lunch and dinner about community and church and life goals and experiences and relationships! It was a wonderful time - but I was just amazed at how selfish I was - even this great weekend was littered with selfish thoughts and longings to be free from the shackles of myself so that I could truly enjoy serving and living side by side with friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home