Thursday, September 08, 2005

Stars and money

I am listening to Patty Griffin - don't you just love how she manages to get under your skin and move you along in her music - it is encouraging, mellow, exciting and thoughtful all at the same time - the true definition of art.
This whole thing started Monday night as I lay in bed re-reading Don's Blue Like Jazz. He was talking about the metaphors we use to explain relationships. He talked about how we always use economic metaphors - you know, "I value you," "he invested in me," "I treasure our friendship..." ladi, ladi, la - so I started thinking about how that has effected my thoughts on relationships - and I cringed! I don't want to see people as monetary things that either increase or decrease my value, I don't want to see them as things I "spend" my time on - I want them to be a picture of the art, the beauty of community that we see so clearly in the Trinity. So, I started trying out a new metaphors - so let me know what you think:
I of course picked the stars and the moon - after all they are my favorite creation outside of people - and as I began to think about it, I saw friendship in a totally new way. What if people shone into your life the Light of Christ, what if they, like the moon, reflected the glory of Jesus onto you, giving you knew meaning and more definition than ever before - what if we saw relationships as expanding our souls in the same way that the stars seem to expand as you gaze on them, always leaving you with the feeling of greatness and awe - what if I saw my relationships as a time to showcase the beauty and majesty that accompanies creation - then my relationships would be beyond "valued" or even "treasured" - they would be ....Well I guess I can use a new word I just learned - ineffable - or, indescribable, - or in the words of a friend here at school "dis- describable" - that is , way past indescribable. Wouldn't it be neat if I saw my relationships with the same awe and wonder as the stars - if I let them contain such diversity, and mystery and beauty? I think that they were created by God to show the beauty and mystery of our relationship with Him - as a Three-in-One - and if I saw them in this way, they would far outshine the sky on the most beautiful night you could imagine - my relationships would truly dazzle!
just a thought - I am trying to think of some more metaphors....but class awaits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home