Monday, October 24, 2005

People

Last night I met a few people from the organization "Move-On.org" - this is an organization that most Christians do not agree with for obvious reasons (go to their web site if you are not familiar with this organization) I joined this group because we share some common ideology about justice, racism and poverty. Last night we met to talk about a memorial service that is going to be held in Dallas commemorating the 2,000 American soldiers that have died in Iraq since the invasion. It was a time of inward turmoil - as I met these people I was struck by the fact that none of them would be accepted in a church. They were not "cool" - some of them were extremely "hippy," one was gay - and announced it within 10 min of meeting him - and another walked with a limp (so he was not a jock, and he wasn't a nerd either - so he just doesn't fit). As I looked at these people, I was struck by the fact that they have found community in the democratic ideals - and that they would be rejected by the people of God. They would not have been allowed in - mainly because they are not "cool" - it has nothing to do with the fact that they are flaming liberal - but the fact that they are weird, they don't fit into the "normal" in the way they dress, act and interact with others. I was deeply saddened by this revelation. I so want to love them, I so want them to know that God would not reject them the way the church has - I wanted them to know that God cares about poverty and death and justice - I wanted them to know that God isn't a republican - that He is so much bigger than any political party! But how can I convince them of this, when we talked about a new law that is outlawing gay marriage in Texas and they are all big supporters - seeing this as a civil rights issue! How? The complexity of my political beliefs are beginning to take over my thoughts - I think and talk about them all the time! It is great because I am talking about things that are extremely practical - and things that my theology plays into in a major way - it has been fun, but it makes me conflicted - how can I be a Christian and still be a political person? Is there an answer to which political ideals are more important than others? Can I say that the aids crisis and poverty around the world are not as important as Gay marriage? Can I say that equal rights for those who are less affluent is not really that important? Is the only political issue that matters Gay Marriage? And if so - how do I hold to the Biblical ideal of marriage and still really love those who see that as a personal slam? OH! I am so conflicted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home