Friday, October 21, 2005

Movies

I have realized that our obsession with ourselves goes deep -so deep that we only want to do things that are like us. I see this really clearly in the choice of movies that we make - I have recently been obsessed with seeing movies that challenge me - that take my ideas to their logical conclusions, or that show the disasters of human nature, or just are so philosophical that I am reeling with thoughts and ideas after the story.....But even then, I am only going for me! I get really mad at my friends who don't want to see movies like this - and then I realize that they too just want to see movies for their enjoyment - and their love for "shallow" shoot-em ups is no more a reflection of their self absorption than my love for "deep" movies! We are all going for ourselves - I so want to live a life that transcends my little "self" - I want to be more concerned for others than myself - I want even my movie choices to reflect how I want to be aware of things that are bigger and more complex than my world view - and I want my friends to do the same .....And then we are back again to my self absorption - it is about what I want and how I want my friends to be......Will it ever change? Who will deliver me from this self absorption? Praise be to God - who will one day send His Son to free me from this mortal body and change me to be like Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home