Friday, January 13, 2006

Serving Jesus

I was reading some other people's random blogs yesterday when I was at work - passing the time with something almost useful:) And I was reading one of my favorites - daily life in the homeless shelter - a great blog reminding me of the need to really serve others.
Yesterday's blog was nothing new - just a blog about serving others - but something that was said really stuck with me! He was talking about a guy who had come into the shelter saying that he was Jesus. The author of the blog said that he saw this man around town -"For the next few weeks I often saw this guy downtown and he always made me laugh. 'Look,' I'd say, 'there's Jesus riding his bike.' Or, 'Hey, that's Jesus, carrying his groceries home.'" I read this and smiled - thinking it was funny.
But today, I was sitting in class, and we were talking about Jer.. 22:16 where God states that taking care of the poor and the needy is "a good example of what it means to know Me." (NET bible) - as we were talking about this, the blog from the day before got mashed with this verse and the verses in Matthew 25:35-40 where Jesus talks about serving "the least of these" and "‘I tell you the truth, just as you did it for one of the least of these brothers or sisters of mine, you did it for me.’"- I got all of these ideas squashed into my brain - and I realized, that even though the blog may have been joking, wouldn't we serve people differently if we thought of them as Jesus? I mean, obviously there are theological issues in saying that these people are "Jesus" - I want to keep the uniqueness of Christ as much as anybody! -but Jesus Himself talks of us seeing other people as important, and serving them as if they are Christ.
I think Jesus probably told us that because He knows that I don't see people as important, and that when I get cut off by a stupid Dallas driver, or I get behind some idiot in the grocery store line, or I get a dumb customer on the phone at my "lovely" job - all I think about is me! I think about how I am in a hurry, or I have been waiting too long, or that I have other, more important things to do! When, if I lived as Jesus tells me, I would think of these people as important - yeah verily - maybe even as Christ Himself - and I would look for ways to honor them and serve them! So maybe I should say "look there goes 'Jesus' taking out the trash" - "I saw 'Jesus' today in the grocery store, he waited on me in line!" - because maybe then I would understand and actually try to love them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home