Monday, April 17, 2006

CHRIST IS RISEN INDEED!

What a statement! I experienced the joy and hope and love of Easter in such a great way this year!
I have been practicing lent - and this year I gave up movies. I know, this isn't "big" to most of you - but it is "HUGE" to me....I love watching movies, the stories, the pictures, the emotions - OH I LOVE THEM! But, I went on a "movie and TV fast" for the 40 days of lent - to make me practice anticipating. I think that as Christians we need to practice anticipation - our hope that the resurrection was a first fruit of things to come (that by God's grace we get to participate in!)
So, I waited for Easter with a HUGE longing - and learned how little I long for Christ's return, and how I have to put things in my life that point me to that longing.
But on with the story - Easter was great! I woke up and went to a sunrise service where we met on the 4th floor of a parking garage and watched the sun creep up behind the clouds. The pastor reminded us that the resurrection is not just something that happened "back then" but it is our hope for our resurrection - when we will be like Christ! Made like HIM! And then we can worship Him without sin, with our whole hearts and really love others as more important than ourselves!
And then I went to the Episcopalian church down the street - and we listened to the hallelujah chorus and proclaimed the hope of the resurrection as we celebrated the Lord's supper - remembering Christ until He returns.
but I wasn't finished! I went to first Baptist Dallas so I could sing "up from the grave" and "because He lives" - and they did not disappoint!
and then....It was over? I was struck by how much we celebrate Christmas and stilt Easter - so I continued the celebration all day - lunch with friends - a quick nap- then dinner at my roommate's parents with 4 international students who had never heard of good Friday or Easter - and I got to tell them about it! And then..... a MOVIE!!!
It was great! I watched Chariots of Fire and rejoiced that Easter was here!
Christ - who is our Hope - is risen INDEED!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home