Saturday, February 04, 2006

Forgiveness

I am reading this book about the "Truth and reconciliation Commission" in South Africa (like I don't have enough things to do, I indulge myself with pleasure reading to counter balance the 100's of pages of required reading!) I have been blown away with the African mindset of forgiveness. These people have been tortured, devastated, lives have been ruined - people treated worse than dogs - and they came to the commission to tell their story and seek reconciliation.
These people think of forgiveness - not as a release from guilt, not even as a statement of faith - but as a source of reconciliation. They forgive not because it is the right thing to do, but because unity is bigger than guilt, because reconciliation is valued more than vengeance - because togetherness is bigger than revenge.
I have been blown away by this true story - it has brought me to tears many times the stories of the atrocities committed and the forgiveness that is offered. It is such a great story of the miracle of forgiveness - unlike any I have ever read outside of the Bible. - and the crazy thing is, these people aren't even claiming to forgive in the name of Christ!
How much more should we - those who claim to be the body of Christ - God's physical representation on earth - how much more should we be known as those who value forgiveness and reconciliation over revenge and hatred - and guilt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home